Links (updated 11/17/20)
- Asian American Journalists Association
Find a guide to covering Asian America
- Association of LGBTQ Journalists
Find a stylebook supplement on LGBTQ terminology.
- Conscious Style Guide
Find a collection of resources dedicated to helping writers and
editors use inclusive language.
Convert British, U.S., and other units of
measure to metric units.
- Diversity Style Guide
Find more than 700 terms related to race/ethnicity, disability,
immigration, sexuality and gender identity,
drugs and alcohol, and geography.
- Illustrated Architecture Dictionary
Need to know what an ogee arch looks like?
How about a quatrefoil? Find pictures and
definitions of many building terms here.
- National Association of Black Journalists
Find terms and language usage of special interest
to the NABJ membership and community.
- National Center on Disability and Journalism
Find the Disability Language Style Guide.
- National Geographic Map Machine
Generate a map of nearly any place on
Earth, and view attributes such as population,
income, and climate.
- Religion Newswriters Association
Need to know the names of major religions,
denominations, and religious organizations?
How about accurate titles for religious leaders
in different traditions?
- Society of Professional Journalist’s Toolbox
Find a variety of diversity resources.
- Style on the Go Archives
Find a list organized by subject of all issues of the
SIM copy editing newsletter.
- U.S. Census Bureau
Look up place names, demographic
information, maps, and American vital
- U.S. Department of Agriculture Plants Database
Find spellings of names, growing information,
and photos of many North American plants.
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
Click on the search function under
“Trademarks” to investigate current
- U.S. Postal Service
Find ZIP codes, correct spellings for city
and street names, and more.