Commonly Confused Word Pairs: Immigrate/emigrate

February 1, 2007: Issue 175

You immigrate to a country; you emigrate from it:
Lars and Ilsa Feddersen immigrated to the United States in the late 1800s, and five generations of their descendants have lived in this house.
Her grandparents emigrated from Japan, bringing the heirloom tansu chest that now graces her bedroom.

No more subscription calls: We’re discontinuing our subscription phone numbers, effective immediately. Our back-issue phone numbers have already been phased out, so we’ll no longer list any phone numbers to buy magazines. Continue to list Web addresses and postal addresses.

Back to Style on the Go Archive
Back to BHG Stylebook Table of Contents